Monday 30 June 2014

Signature Style

I'm currently at an altitude of 30,000 feet flying somewhere over Mumbai. After reading countless fashion magazines (the one thing I absolutely love about flying) I've begun contemplating my signature style. 

My wardrobe can probably be best described as an Aladins cave of guilt-inducing investment pieces. All of which are dresses and accessories. I'm a bona fide dress girl- always have been and always will be. However these are my go- to pieces for special events/special dinners ect. My day to day and casual wardrobe tend to differ quite significantly. I'm a sucker for anything over sized in Winter; an oversized white shirt that looks like I've borrowed it from my boyfriends closet? YES please. Chunky oversized knit cardigans, black on black and over the knee boots all make up my casual wardrobe. Don't get me wrong my casual wardrobe still seaths of overpriced 'investments'. However it is far less 'pretty' than the section allocated to the dresses in garment bags which take up half my wardrobe. I wouldn't go as far as  labelling it androgynous. Although I do see a clear difference in my style from Winter to Summer and casual to special occasions. I've defined my signature style as pretty and preppy. My dresses are always pretty and my casual winter wardrobe is usually polished off with some hint of preppy influence. It took me years to be able to clearly define my style and know just by looking at a piece whether it would belong in my wardrobe or not. 

Although somewhere over the Indian Ocean I started wondering whether I could in fact purchase a pair of birks or man style loafers? Androgenous dressing is certainly here to stay. I admire girls who pull off the Androgenous look oh so well but I've never considered myself one of them. Maybe it was the lack of sleep or perhaps the dehydration that made my brain go ga-ga and consider the purchase of a Saint Laurent inspired two piece black pant suit. Whilst I'm at it I'll also research if any one has made a version of the grey check suit and tie combo Saint Laurent sent down the runway this year. Could I become the girl in the two piece suit and embrace Androgenous dressing in all it's glory? What about the years I'd spent perfecting my Aladins cave of florals, laces and full skirts? I contemplated all of this whilst flicking page after page and pondering over the Androgenously styled outfits which seemed to be on at least every second page of my magazine.

However all was set right again in my world when opening Malaysian Elle and seeing this gorgeous Dior add. The fuschia lady Dior, the ballerina style full skirt, the pleating, the softness of the colour (not a crisp white but not a cream) all had me weak at the knees and secretly calculating just how long I'd have to save for to get my hands on a fuschia coloured Lady Dior. Pantsuit. What pantsuit?

No comments:

Post a Comment