Tuesday 18 March 2014

The Designer Purchase


There is nothing like that feeling of your first designer purchase. The whole process of the store visit, selecting your soon to be new purchase and that glorious feeling of walking out carrying that carry bag. Whilst the concept of the ‘it’ bag has long been and gone. The ‘it bag’ craze saw many classics that we still covert today become household names. The name ‘Kelly’ cant be mentioned without automatically thinking of the Hermes cult classic, the same with the names ‘Jane’ or ‘Birkin’, Paddington the suburb or the Chloe classic? Motorcycle as in the vehicle or the Balenciaga? And so the list goes on. I was recently asked for my advice on making that first elusive purchase. We all have grand ideas on what that first purchase is going to be. Mine was going to be a Chanel 2.55 within my first year of full time work (despite the fact that I pretty much worked full-time all throughout uni, somehow I thought I’d magically become better with money when my pay slip actually read ‘full-time’ employee). Even though 4 years on I’m no closer to my 2.55 I have made quite a few designer purchases in my time (funny enough this habit started when I was in uni). I’m no expert but here are the tips and tricks I’ve learnt along the way.  


1.   Choose a neutral colour, this will ensure that you get maximum wear for years to come.
2.   Decide on a larger size, this will ensure you will get more use out of your bag- Clutches can be for your next purchase.
3.   Research, Research, Research! Most of us gravitate to one particular brand more than the rest. Research their lines and their price ranges..
4.   Set a rough budget.
5.   I’m a fan of on-line shopping for everything- everything expect the designer bag purchase. If you can, I always recommend visiting the store to make your purchase.
6.   It can sometimes be daunting to go into the store- it always helps me to be prepared before I go, write down some of the styles that you are keen on –within your price range.
7.   Don’t rush! When your in store take your time, be sure to see all of the styles you had written down and be sure you love, love, love your choice.
8.   Once you’ve made your purchase, always keep your bag in its dust bag, have it regularly treated (if its leather) and always spot clean after use.
A designer purchase is such a personal choice, which is ultimately why the ‘it’ bag craze died so quickly. Its personal and a big investment, so be sure the choice that you make is perfect for you.

Row One, Left to Right: Givenchy Envelope Antigona Clutch, Louis Vuitton Mono Speedy Bag, Chanel 2.55 Double Flap Bag.
Row Two, Left to Right: Chanel Calfskin Quilted Large Boy Flap Bag, Hermes Crocodile Birkin, Hermes Kelly Bag.
Row Three, Left to Right: Saint Laurent Monogramme Textured- Leather Shoulder Bag, Chloe Paddington Satchel, Balenciaga Motorcycle Bag.  


No comments:

Post a Comment